EcoWall — Novel composite concrete insulated building materials optimised for performance and durability combined with low environmental impact
Specific objectives of the EcoWall project are:
- Optimisation of material combinations, with maximised utilisation of industrial waste and recycled materials.
- Design of example range of products based on well-identified user requirements.
- Definition of integrated process to produce the materials.
- Establishment of pilot plant in Estonia for first production of the novel materials.
- Validation of construction materials in actual usage and field trials.
- Promotion and dissemination of benefits to encourage specification of the material by end-users and architects.
- Development of exploitation plan to replicate process by establishment of similar production plants in other countries.
The EcoWall production process involves relatively low capital expenditure, facilitating widespread replication in both large- and small-scale operations.
The construction industry is characterised by country- and regional-specific preferences in respect of building appearance and construction techniques, together with climatic-dependent performance requirements. Equally, the type and availability of appropriate waste materials varies for each country.
The process can be used to produce construction materials in a diverse range of different appearances and formats and is cost-effective even for small-scale manufacturers. Consequently, EcoWall represents an ideal solution for addressing the range of needs throughout Europe.
The business plan includes offering consultancy services and turn-key solutions for new plant start-ups. These services will include:
- identification and characterisation of locally available waste resources,
- mix design to beneficially incorporate the waste materials,
- design of production process and specification of plant appropriate to the scale of an operation, and
- provision of training, marketing and on-going support services.